Thursday 21 March 2013

Evaluation: Progression

7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product? 

I am now much more confident using Photoshop than I was when I was doing the preliminary task. As you can see, my preliminary task on the left looks very basic and the font I have used for the cover lines aren't conventional. Whereas my music magazine coursework on the right looks more professional and you can tell I have improved since I first started. The colours are bland and I didn't use Photoshop to edit the model's skin. It doesn't stand out much, whereas my music magazine is much brighter, the colours work better together and it's a lot more detailed.

When I started my music magazine, I felt like I had gained the knowledge through practice on how to achieve a professional overall result. My font looks more professional and the cover lines are set out like a conventional magazine. The cover lines on Q magazine (image on the right) are set out similar to mine, therefore I have followed conventions when creating my cover. I also did a lot more research when creating my music magazine as I wanted to know what my audience would like to see.

Even though I followed a house style in my preliminary task, the colours are boring and don't stand out as much as my music magazine, with which the colours are much brighter and better quality. My preliminary cover has a masthead, but it doesn't stand out and it's also quite smaller. Through my research for my music magazine, I learnt that the masthead should cover a fifth of the page and also that the price should conventionally be on the bar code, which is what I failed to do for my preliminary task. The text underneath the masthead (the selling line) doesn't stand out much; the font is basic and small, which is hard to read. The font on my music magazine has an outline and the font is much more professional. Overall, my music magazine includes more detail and the colour scheme is much more effective and catches your eye, whereas the preliminary cover includes basic colours that wouldn't stand out with the rest of the magazines on the shelf.

During the process, I have learnt that by having a high quality photo and by editing it on Photoshop, you can create a professional look. I've also learnt that by using the right colours that contrast each other, you can help catch the audience's eye. I've also learnt that by linking the cover lines with the genre of music, and also the artist and their outfit, you can tell straight away what kind of genre it is.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment