Tuesday 5 March 2013

Evaluation: Contents Page Analysis

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? 


Overall, my contents page includes many conventional features but I have also challenged conventions, such as by having a black background behind each subheading; it makes them look solid and thick. The image I've included of my main artist also challenges conventions as I have used a similar 'old fashioned' effect as I did on the front cover, which shows they are part of the same magazine. The sepia effect is unusual, but I like it as it stands out because it's different, which was the main aim of my magazine, because of the genre and era of music that the magazine is about. I noticed during my research that typical contents pages don't have the word 'page' or 'pg.' before the page number, therefore I followed that convention by not including it in mine. I picked the same colours as I did for my front cover to create continuity and a house style and to make these colours my magazine's signature colour scheme. The font used for each subheading is the same as my front cover also, so you can tell they join together as part of the same magazine.

I made these particular choices during the production of my magazine so that it looks conventional and so that the magazine is recognised as belonging to the front cover. I included the colours red, black and white as they are the colours of the house style I've chosen to have running through all three products of my magazine. I included a box layout, as that is conventional and I tried to make my contents page look different by having cartoon font in the subheadings, which I used for the front cover also.

If I was to start again, I would include more of a variety of original images, such as pictures of rock bands, so that I have a variety of males and females, seeing as my audience is both genders. I would also include more pages on the contents page, as it's conventional to have many pages listed. I would include a pull quote to go with the image of my main artist also, as it would encourage the reader to read the article (which is known as anchorage).

My initial ideas were very basic (my hand drawn draft on the left) and I struggled the most with creating the contents page, mainly because I found it hard to make it look professional. However, I like how it turned out in the end and I'm glad I used a box layout, as it makes it look more conventional and structured. I also kept changing my mind about where to place things on the contents page and felt like I couldn't fit everything in, but overall I'm fairly happy with the result. 

I developed my product from the teacher feedback that I received from one of my previous drafts (above). I changed the layout to make it appear more structured and also moved the images around so that it looks more neatly put together. I changed the page number of my main artist, as I was told the page number was "too far back" in the magazine, therefore I changed it from 45 to 20. I also was told that I had too much text on the image of Sabrina, therefore I removed some of the text and also made the font smaller and moved it further towards the bottom of the image (image on the left). I also received peer feedback, which my classmates suggested I made the lanes neater and referenced my celebrity photos, however I ended up replacing them later on with original images. I got mostly positive feedback, saying they liked how my famous existing artists included related to the mise en scene of my magazine.


This was the end result of my contents page. I changed the effect of the main image, so it's similar to the front cover photo. I included more original images, including a picture of a concert to represent the competition from the front cover. I changed the font of the subheadings so it's the same as the cover line font from the front cover and the layout is more structured. After all of the feedback that I received, I acted on it and improved my final contents page to achieve this end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment