Monday 11 March 2013

Evaluation: Social Groups

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?


The genre of my magazine is a mixture between 'classic pop' and 'classic rock', therefore I chose the outfit that Sabrina is wearing in the picture because it's very retro looking and it stands out well behind the newspaper background. The young people who would buy this magazine would be interested in the competition advertised for 'Tribfest 2013' as the festival is full of tribute bands from the 60s onwards and the audience would be interested in that kind of music. The masthead has an 'arcade' look, which again symbolises this type of magazine as it's very vintage looking. The picture on the front shows Sabrina going against the conventions of front cover photos and it reflects her personality (being edgy). She looks like the stereotypical teenager, going against conventions and being rebellious, which is what the target audience would be able to relate to. My audience would go against conventions as they are interested in music from the past, therefore they would be part of the D social grade, as it would mainly be people in full time education. However, even though the D social grade represents inner directed teenagers, I think maybe the C/D social grade is more appropriate as if older people sometimes buy the magazine too, they are more likely to have a job. Older people may buy the magazine if they recognise the artist on the front cover as it may bring back memories from when they were younger and listened to that music. Therefore, my magazine challenges conventions as the audience is very diverse. My audience would be inner-directed, as they aren't influenced by others and have their own particular music that they enjoy, instead of the mainstream music that is out today.

Q&A Music Mag Research by Zoe Oglesby on GoAnimate

Video Maker - Powered by GoAnimate.

I did a questionnaire earlier on in my coursework to find out what kind of music people my age like and what they like about music magazines, so I could develop my ideas further into creating my magazine.

My music magazine has a retro/vintage style so that it reinforces my genre. I styled my model as if the photo was taken years ago; her outfit is retro and her sunglasses make her look like she's a pop star. The newspaper background makes my front cover look unique and it challenges conventions as magazines usually have a blank background. The masthead is in a polka dot font therefore it looks like an old fashioned arcade, which connotes the retro theme. My audience would be confident in their interests as they like music that isn't in the charts.

I stereotyped my audience by advertising a competition on the front cover for winning tickets to Tribfest, which is a festival with tribute bands from the past. I recognised that if my audience enjoy old music, then they would enjoy tribute bands of their favourite bands/artists as they would be the closest thing to hearing them live, as many of the bands they like might not be around anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment