Friday 2 November 2012

Audience: Psychographics

My music magazine will be aimed at a target audience of people with similar interests, attitudes and opinions. My magazine will appeal to particular groups depending on their personalities, values, attitudes, interests or lifestyle.

Early psychographic research described consumers or audience members on the basis of psychological characteristics usually gathered from standardised questionnaires.

There were four main categories, which were subdivided into nine different lifestyles:

·         Groups driven by needs: - survivors and sustainers

·         Groups who are outer-directed: belongers, emulators, and achievers

·         Groups who are inner-directed: I-am-me, experientals, societally conscious

·         Groups who are outer and inner-directed: integrated

Maslow’s Hierarchy Of Needs

Maslow’s model requires that we fulfil one level, before we can move onto the next.

My magazine will be aimed at people who appreciate all genres and eras of music that have been produced throughout the decades. The group that my audience would go in would be the inner-directed category, as instead of listening to chart music like most teenagers they would prefer to listen to music that has been around for a longer amount of time. However, they might still enjoy today’s music, but appreciate that it has evolved from music from the past.
I think my audience would belong in the ‘safety’ part of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, as my audience would prefer old music rather than new music, which is going against the stereotypical music that teenagers like, therefore they wouldn’t belong in the ‘social’ part.

No comments:

Post a Comment